- Does Swimming and Treading Water Build Muscle?
- Treading Water vs. Swimming Laps – Which is Better?
- Can You Swim with Contact Lenses?
- How to Tread Water – Top Methods to Stay Afloat
- How Many Calories Does Treading Water Burn?
- Can You Open Your Eyes in the Ocean?
- How to Stay Warm in Cold Water Without a Wetsuit
Open water swimming is pretty self-explanatory; it is simply swimming in any outdoor bodies of water including the open ocean, lakes, and even rivers. You can do it casually or competitively, such as in triathlons.
At the highest level, you can compete in prestigious competitions such as the FINA World Aquatics Championships, the FINA 10 km Marathon Swimming World Cup, and even at the Olympic Games. It is a discipline acknowledged across the world, as there are official events worldwide.
Wearing a wetsuit is highly recommended due to the risks involved with open water swimming. In competition, wetsuits are either permitted or restricted based on the distance of the swim and the water temperature.
In this section, we have compiled a list of all our guides related to open water swimming.